Hybrid, Remote, Toronto, Vancouver
Palmer are looking for a Geological / Forestry Field Technician to join their Surficial Geology team. They are seeking a resourceful individual who enjoys remote field work and developing new skills, is comfortable operating lightweight motorized equipment, and prides themselves in their ability to troubleshoot and solve field-based problems. Field experience in forestry, mineral exploration, or other environmental industries is an asset.
What You’re Responsible For:
- Participate in, and support the planning of, remote field programs
- Provide Geological / Forestry field support in remote areas of Canada
- Safe operation and movement of lightweight drilling equipment for the purposes of collecting sediment/rock samples from depths of up to 10 m, following successful completion of appropriate internal training
- Complete, document and discuss daily safety inspections and health & safety forms
- Collect sediment samples using hand tools and lightweight drilling equipment
- Collect permafrost/ground ice samples using lightweight drilling equipment
- Support basic line cutting using a chainsaw, axe and other equipment prior to commencement of sampling programs
- Maintain field equipment and track inventories of expendables and other critical field supplies
- Support/arrange shipment of equipment to field sites
- Support office-based data entry, organization and mapping
- Occasionally support reporting and proposal needs
- Operating ATVs, UTVs (side-by-side), snowmobiles, 4×4 trucks, etc.
What We’re Looking For:
- Grade 12 diploma
- Must have a valid Class G Ontario Driver’s License.
- Able to participate in multi-week field programs
- Diploma/certificate in an earth sciences discipline (e.g., geology, forestry, environmental science)
- Experience and comfort operating and maintaining light equipment (e.g., chainsaws, power tools, light machinery)
- Interest in growing a career
- Experience and comfort operating off-road vehicles
- Ability to manage project workload and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written English communication skills
- Adaptable and able to work independently in various environments when required
- Team player with good organizational skills
- Enjoys unique problem-solving opportunities
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of SLR Consulting (Canada) Ltd. (SLR), Palmer Environmental Consulting Group Inc. (Palmer) is part of a global consultancy firm providing environmental and advisory solutions to clients, with a team of over 3,000 talented professionals delivering advice and support in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Africa. Palmer’s expertise builds on SLR’s existing environmental capabilities, creating one of the largest environmental teams in Canada. Palmer and SLR recognize the synergies in services related to fisheries, aquatic, and terrestrial ecology, hydrogeology, water resources, geology and geomorphology and continue to further expand and diversify the range of services and technical depth in Ontario and British Columbia.
In addition, appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).