Geophysicists for the investigation of (subsea) permafrost structures at the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI), Potsdam, Germany
In collaboration with the GFZ Potsdam, the Geophysics section at AWI aims at investigating the evolution and morphological diversity of (subsea) permafrost features observed and identified in seismic signals, characterizing relevant seismic facies that might relate to major environmental changes. For this challenging project, they are looking for an experienced geophysicist (m/f/d).
Main task is detection and characterization of permafrost features and their relevant facies in seismic data. For this purpose, non-conventional seismic processing tools for passive and active seismic data need to be developed to provide improved resolution of subsea images in sparse acquisition and allowing monitoring of the permafrost structures. Methods developed may include but are not limited to using multi-component seismics data with possibility to utilise directivity of the seismic wavefield for improved subsea imaging. Based on the seismic structure and property distribution derived from seismic data, permafrost tables shall be analyzed, identified and interpreted. The developed methods will be tested on already acquired data sets and also applied to seismic data acquired in new seismic surveys specially designed for this task.
- MSc in Physics or Geophysics
- PhD in Geophysics
- Extensive experience in the development of seismic processing techniques, in particular imaging techniques
- Experience in inversion techniques to derive acoustical properties from seismic reflection data
- Experience in inversion techniques to transform seismic reflection data into acoustic impedance and quantitative description of the subsurface/subsea features
- Solid background in physics and in seismic signal processing methods
- Experience in seismic data acquisition and survey design
- Experience in project management
- Publication skills and experience in supervising students
- Excellent communication skills in English
Please contact Prof. Dr. Vera Schlindwein (Vera.Schlindwein@awi.de; +49(471)4831-1943).
This full-time position is limited to 31 January 2028. It is also suitable for part-time employment. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 14. The place of employment will be Potsdam.
The AWI is characterised by:
- our scientific success – excellent research
- collaboration and cooperation – intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary
- opportunities to develop – on the job and towards other positions
- an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world
- flexible working hours and the possibility of mobile working up to 50% of regular working hours
- support services and a culture of reconciling work and family
- Occupational pension provision (VBL)
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy. The AWI aims to increase the number of employees who are women, and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equal qualifications are present.
The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family in various ways and has received a number of awards as a result of this engagement.
We look forward to your application!
Please submit your application by 20 August 2023, exclusively online.
Reference number: 23/151/G/Geo-b