Post-doc position focusing on “the exploration of water under soft confinement at subzero temperatures” at Universität Basel, Switzerland
Universität Basel are seeking a highly motivated and ambitious candidate for a post-doc position (100%), focusing on the exploration of water under soft confinement at subzero temperatures. This position is part of an ERC Starting Grant Project, funded by the State Secretariat for Education, Research, and Innovation (SERI), under the leadership of Prof. Yang Yao at Department of Chemistry, University of Basel.
The position is initially structured for a duration of 2 years, with the potential for extension upon securing supplementary funding. The possible starting date is 1 July 2024, or a later date based on mutual agreement. Join them in this groundbreaking research endeavor at the forefront of scientific exploration!
Water, the most ubiquitous and essential liquid on Earth’s surface, exhibits rich physical behaviors in its bulk form. However, in various biological systems, permafrost soil, and a range of natural and synthetic materials, water often resides in tiny crevices within proteins, between clay sheets, or in porous materials. This confined water presents distinct characteristics in its nucleation mechanisms and dynamics, differing from its bulk form. Their project aims to delve into the study of water’s physical state within soft confining media, mimicking the environment of living cells, particularly focusing on understanding the mechanisms enabling life survival at subzero temperatures.
The tasks of the successful applicant include:
- Fabricating and characterizing synthetic compartments.
- Developing methodologies to study the physical state of water within these compartments.
- Investigating the state of water in complicated environments.
- Assisting lab management and student supervision.
- Writing for scientific publications.
- Presenting findings at national and international conferences.
- A PhD degree in chemistry or physics.
- An excellent track record in research endeavors.
- Prior experience in soft matter, biophysics, colloids, and emulsion.
- Expertise in spectroscopy techniques and dynamics.
- Advantageous experience in microfluidic synthesis systems.
- A natural curiosity for scientific exploration, coupled with an open-minded approach.
- Strong communication skills, facilitating effective collaboration and knowledge exchange.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English.
They offer an international, multidisciplinary work environment and excellent research infrastructure. The successful applicants will take part in several internal- international collaborations. She or he will benefit from excellent working conditions such as an inspiring working group, a competitive salary, funding for conference travel. The University of Basel is an equal opportunity and family friendly employer committed to excellence through diversity.
Application / Contact:
Applications should include:
Motivation letter with research statement (maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of Publications
- Copy of PhD degree
- Names and contacts of two references
Your complete application documents should be sent by email in one PDF document directly to Prof. Yang Yao (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 30 January 2024. Applications should be submitted in English.