Tetra Tech is currently looking for an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to join their Yellowknife office. This is an opportunity to work with world-class engineers and scientists dedicated to working on civil and geotechnical engineering projects in arctic environments, from conceptual design to construction reporting.
- Developing sound technical solutions to assist in the design and evaluation of challenging geotechnical applications, particularly foundations in permafrost environments;
- Preparing technical letters and reports and participate in proposal development;
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff members and co-op students;
- Planning resources, schedules, and managing projects to be on budget and on time;
- Communicating with coworkers, clients, and sub consultants;
- Collecting and analyzing geotechnical and permafrost information;
- Reviewing reports prepared by junior staff and preparing geotechnical evaluation reports including recommendations and site development in permafrost environments; and
- Participating in design of civil earthwork structures and development of construction specifications.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in civil or geological engineering with a preference for a Master’s degree in geotechnical engineering.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant geotechnical engineering and foundation design experience.
- Relevant arctic engineering and permafrost engineering experience is preferred. Experience in geotechnical reconnaissance and site characterization is essential.
- Proven capabilities in planning and supervising geotechnical investigations and in writing reports and technical communications.
- Strong all-round academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
- Expertise in foundation engineering.
- Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage.
- Experience or aptitude for proposal writing, client development, working in a team setting to meet timelines and other skills appropriate to consulting.
- Registered or eligible to register as a Professional Engineer in Northwest Territories.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Travel will be required in this position throughout Western Canada, and candidates must be prepared to undertake field assignments possibly lasting up to three to four weeks at a time.
- Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
What makes Tetra Tech a great place to work:
- Benefits starting day one of employment. Competitive base salary.
- Eligible for overtime (calculated at 1.5 times) that can be banked or paid out, whatever you prefer. Some of their employees work a lot of hours during the busy times and then take extended time off.
- Hybrid work options when you are not in the field. Tetra Tech will provide the technology for you to work remotely.
- Tetra Tech employs industry leading technical specialists across all environmental disciplines which promotes a strong mentorship environment and opportunity for technical growth.
- Tetra Tech supports life-long learning and provides an annual allowance for educational opportunities.
- You will be working with an amazing, very supportive team that takes a great amount of pride in their reputation and the phenomenal customer service they are known for.
- Tetra Tech is a global company with over 27,000 employees worldwide. By joining this team, you have access to this network of professionals, experience, opportunities and corporate benefits (eg corporate discounts, stock purchase plan).
- Opportunity for advancement within their environmental group and within Tetra Tech globally.
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required but will be explained during the recruitment process if they are necessary. As this position may be serving clients that have vaccination requirements for site access, Tetra Tech may be confirming your eligibility to comply with this requirement.
Organization: 704 EBA
Tetra Tech offers a great place to work, and an engaging culture that is based on innovation, collaboration and integrity. Their compensation plan includes a competitive hourly rate and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout their history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. They invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; First Nations Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit their website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects they are currently working on.
Tetra Tech thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.