Tetra Tech is currently seeking a Junior Geophysicist to join their team on a permanent full-time basis. They are looking for someone that wants to develop a career in geophysics consulting with the mentorship and support of Canada’s largest near-surface geophysics team. They view this hire as a long-term investment for their group and are looking for a strong candidate that is dedicated to establishing a position with their team.
Their Geophysics Group is based in Edmonton, AB, and has successfully implemented a flexible hybrid work model. They primarily work on projects across Western and Northern Canada, although occasionally have opportunities to pursue international projects. Much of their work is completed in collaboration with engineering groups within Tetra Tech, which has allowed their team to specialize in complex interdisciplinary projects. They work with their clients, both internal and external, to determine unique solutions to their problems. Through servicing a large variety of industries and clients, they have been able to build their team consistently and sustainably for many years.
Tetra Tech support the development of their staff by allowing them to work independently and take responsibility for their projects from early on in their careers, providing a sense of ownership over their work. Unlike other employers, they provide the opportunity to work on projects from cradle to grave. Their team members regularly assist with proposal development, fieldwork planning, data collection, processing, interpretation, and reporting for the same project. This all-inclusive approach to geophysics allows for a much deeper understanding of the geophysical consulting profession. Some of their most memorable projects include consulting on a Hollywood film production, helicopter-based routing studies, bedrock mapping on the BC west coast, permafrost site investigations in the Arctic, downhole geophysical logging in the Rocky Mountains, and mapping ice roads. Note that fieldwork is a significant part of geophysics. Junior Geophysicists can expect to be in the field a minimum of 50% of the time (average throughout the year).
- Support a large variety of geophysical projects from cradle to grave.
- Plan and complete geophysical data collection surveys, including, but not limited to, seismic refraction, MASW, ERT, electromagnetics, downhole, non-destructive testing, and GPR.
- Field troubleshooting and equipment maintenance.
- Process and interpret geophysical data collected in the field.
- Assist with proposal development, project management, and logistics planning.
- Work closely with the project lead to deliver assignments on schedule and within budget.
- Represent Tetra Tech as a leading industry expert when interfacing with their clients.
- Promote geophysics within the consulting engineering industry.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Geophysics from a recognized University (please include transcripts).
- Registered as a G.I.T. or P.Geo. with APEGA, or otherwise eligible to register.
- Strong all-round academic knowledge of current geophysical methods, especially near-surface applications.
- Willingness to learn and take initiative.
- Positive attitude and sense of adventure.
- Ability to clearly communicate information about geophysics and method limitations.
- Personable and experienced in communicating and collaborating with people of varying educational and technical backgrounds.
- Adaptable to different work environments and ability to work with diverse teams.
- Aptitude for working long hours outside in all seasons.
- Must be physically capable of performing the manual labour duties required including carrying and lifting heavy equipment.
- Technical reporting experience.
- Good time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks effectively.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, but know when to ask for assistance.
- Experience with computer software and programming languages, including Matlab, Res2DInv, ReflexW, WellCAD, ArcGIS, and Surfer will be an advantage.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and must provide a current driver’s abstract upon hire.
- Safety courses in First Aid, ATVs, WHMIS, and H2S Alive will be an advantage.
- Travel will be required in this position, and candidates must be prepared to undertake field assignments for up to 24 days at a time.
What makes Tetra Tech a great place to work:
- Benefits starting day one of employment. Competitive base salary.
- Eligible for overtime (calculated at 1.5 times) that can be banked or paid out, whatever you prefer. Some of their employees work a lot of hours during the busy times and then take extended time off.
- Hybrid work options when you are not in the field. We’ll provide the technology for you to work remotely.
- Tetra Tech employs industry leading technical specialists across all environmental disciplines which promotes a strong mentorship environment and opportunity for technical growth.
- Tetra Tech supports life-long learning and provides an annual allowance for educational opportunities.
- You will be working with an amazing, very supportive team that takes a great amount of pride in their reputation and the phenomenal customer service they are known for.
- Tetra Tech is a global company with over 27,000 employees worldwide. By joining this team, you have access to this network of professionals, experience, opportunities and corporate benefits (eg corporate discounts, stock purchase plan).
- Opportunity for advancement within their environmental group and within Tetra Tech globally.
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required but will be explained during the recruitment process if they are necessary. As this position may be serving clients that have vaccination requirements for site access, they may be confirming your eligibility to comply with this requirement.
Organization: 704 EBA
Tetra Tech offer a great place to work, and an engaging culture that is based on innovation, collaboration and integrity. Their compensation plan includes a competitive hourly rate and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout their history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. Tetra Tech invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; First Nations Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit their website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects they are currently working on.
Tetra Tech thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.