Postdoctoral Research in water-permafrost interactions in the Department of Hydrology and Hydrodynamics at the Institute of Geophysics, Polish Academy of Science, Warsaw, Poland
The candidate will join the group implementing the project NCN SONATA BIS No. 2020/38 / E / ST10 / 00139 “Applied remote sensing and geophysical imaging in recognition of the changes of the water balance in High Arctic catchments“. The planned research includes, inter alia:
- Investigation and modeling relationships between permafrost and hydrology to understand the dynamics of the cryo-hydro-geological system in the mountainous catchments.
- Preparing, organizing and conducting field experiments in the Svalbard region, processing the acquired data.
- Preparation or contribution to the publication of papers in JCR journals and conference presentations.
Title of the NCN competition:
- PhD in Earth sciences or related sciences obtained maximum 7 years before starting work on the project. It is allowed to submit applications by persons who obtain a doctoral degree before the date of commencement of work.
- The candidate should have knowledge on permafrost and hydrology and will be expected to work partially in the Arctic.
- The ideal candidate should be familiar with geophysical methods in particular GPR measurements and interpretation of the results.
- Knowledge of programming (MATLAB, R, Python).
- Experience in hydrogeological modelling and/or modelling of perennial permafrost and/or cryo-hydro-geological modeling (e.g., CryoGRID 3, Advanced Terrestrial Simulator) will be additional asset.
- Fluent English enabling the presentation of results at international conferences, communication, reading and writing scientific papers.
- Outstanding scientific achievements;
- Motivation for scientific work.
*In accordance with NCN requirements, a post-doc position may be filled only by a person who obtained a doctoral degree in an entity other than the one where the post is to be filled not earlier than 7 years before the year of employment in the project. This period may be extended by the time of being on long-term (more than 90 days) documented sickness benefits or rehabilitation benefits due to inability to work. In addition, the number of months spent on leave related to the care and upbringing of children granted in accordance with the Labour Code may be added to this period, and in the case of women – 18 months for each child born or adopted.
In addition, in accordance with NCN requirements, an employed person during the period of receiving this remuneration will not receive any other remuneration from funds granted as direct costs from research projects financed within NCN competitions and during the period of receiving this remuneration will not receive any remuneration from another employer based on an employment contract, including from an employer based outside Poland.
Conditions of employment:
- The amount of funds for employment is PLN 10,000 gross / month (which is approximately PLN 6,000 net)
- Stage dimension: full time
- Employment period – 30 months
- Employment is planned from 1 August 2023
- According to the NCN conditions, during the employment period, a post-doc may not receive any other remuneration
The work will be carried out under the supervision of:
- Document certifying that the PhD degree was awarded
- Motivation letter
- Information on scientific achievements (including a list of publications), awards and scientific internships
- Electronic versions of the two most important publications (or typescripts of unpublished works) which the candidate considers to be representative of his / her scientific output;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Other documents relevant to the case
For more information, please contact: Marzena Osuch, ul. Księcia Janusza 64, tel. +48 226915856, e-mail: email@example.com.
Form of offers:
Application documents should be sent (date of receipt) until 4 June 2023 to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.