Tetra Tech is currently looking to hire a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join their Arctic Engineering Group. The group is based out of Edmonton, but remote working arrangements are available. The team member also has the option of working out of any of their Canadian offices. They recognize that many candidates will not have northern or permafrost experience and this is not a requirement. What is important is that the individual has strong geotechnical skills and is ready to take on a new challenge with a dynamic, knowledgeable, and supportive team. There is a broad range of projects to choose from and they have a long list of work available, including many long-term clients that bring stability and the opportunity to innovate. They have over 50 dedicated staff on Arctic projects, not including support staff across other disciplines like transportation, environment, solid waste, and civil engineering. Tetra Tech provides a multitude of services relating to cold regions or permafrost basis: water control structures (i.e., dams, dykes, diversion features), foundations, mining infrastructure, reclamation and closure, transportation infrastructure, geophysics, and ice/frozen covers engineering. These services are offered by the many specialists in Tetra Tech. In short, they would like to offer you an opportunity to work with world-class engineers dedicated to working on geotechnical engineering projects.
- Developing sound technical solutions to assist in the design and evaluation of challenging geotechnical applications, particularly in permafrost environments.
- Preparing technical letters and reports and participating in proposal development.
- Planning resources, schedules and managing projects to be on budget and on time.
- Communicating with coworkers, clients and sub-consultants.
- Collecting and analyzing geotechnical and permafrost information.
- Reviewing reports prepared by junior staff and preparing geotechnical evaluation reports including recommendations and site development in permafrost environments.
- Planning, conducting and supervising geotechnical investigations.
- Evaluating geological conditions and geotechnical characteristics for assessment and design of shallow and deep foundations, retaining structures and earth structures.
- Conducting dam safety reviews (as appropriate based on skills).
- Conducting and reviewing slope stability and embankment assessments and completing associated designs.
- Reclamation earthwork designs.
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff members.
- Proven project management and business development skills are essential.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in civil or geological engineering with a preference for a Master’s degree in geotechnical engineering.
- 10 to 15 years of relevant geotechnical engineering and foundation design experience would be expected for this position.
- Arctic engineering and permafrost engineering experience is valued, but not required.
- Experience in geotechnical reconnaissance and site characterization is essential.
- Strong all-round academic knowledge of geotechnical engineering.
- Proven capabilities in planning and supervising geotechnical investigations and in writing reports and technical communications.
- Expertise in foundation engineering.
- Previous experience in assessing site suitability for development of infrastructure.
- Experience with engineering design software will be an advantage. Examples include: Plaxis, Lpile, GRLWEAP, DYNA, FLAC, GeoStudio and Settle 3D.
- Previous experience using MS Office is essential.
- Experience or aptitude for proposal writing, client development, working in a team setting to meet timelines and other skills appropriate to consulting.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Some travel will be required in this position throughout Western and Northern Canada and candidates must be prepared to undertake field assignments.
- Strong people skills and an ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Previous experience leading, mentoring and coaching team members is essential.
- Registered or the ability to register as a Professional Engineer in western or northern Canada.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship and possess a valid Class 5 driver’s license or the equivalent.
What makes Tetra Tech a great place to work:
- Benefits starting day one of employment. Competitive base salary.
- Eligible for overtime (calculated at 1.5 times) that can be banked or paid out, whatever you prefer. Some of their employees work a lot of hours during the busy times and then take extended time off.
- Hybrid work options when you are not in the field. We’ll provide the technology for you to work remotely.
- Tetra Tech employs industry leading technical specialists across all environmental disciplines which promotes a strong mentorship environment and opportunity for technical growth.
- Tetra Tech supports life-long learning and provides an annual allowance for educational opportunities.
- You will be working with an amazing, very supportive team that takes a great amount of pride in their reputation and the phenomenal customer service they are known for.
- Tetra Tech is a global company with over 27,000 employees worldwide. By joining this team, you have access to this network of professionals, experience, opportunities and corporate benefits (eg corporate discounts, stock purchase plan).
- Opportunity for advancement within their environmental group and within Tetra Tech globally.
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required but will be explained during the recruitment process if they are necessary. As this position may be serving clients that have vaccination requirements for site access, Tetra Tech may be confirming your eligibility to comply with this requirement.
Organization: 704 EBA
Tetra Tech offers a great place to work, and an engaging culture that is based on innovation, collaboration and integrity. Their compensation plan includes a competitive hourly rate and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout their history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. Tetra Tech invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; First Nations Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit their website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects they are currently working on.
Tetra Tech thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.